Irish Soda Bread Scones
Makes 1 dozen
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons caraway seed
¼ cup sugar
1 stick butter, cold an cut into small pieces
½ cup raisins
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup confectioners sugar
2 Tablespoons buttermilk
¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• In a food processor, pulse the first 6 ingredients, flour through salt
• With food processor running, drop in pieces of butter, a few at a time.
• When all butter is added, pulse a few more times until the butter is incorporated and the mixture looks like course meal.
• Add raisins and pulse a few times to combine, but not chop the raisins.
• Add the buttermilk all at once and pulse a few times to incorporate and a wet dough is formed,
DO NOT OVERMIX.
• Scoop out dough onto a floured surface. Turn in flour to make dough a little less sticky and so you can pickup 1/3 cup portions of dough. Gently roll into balls, but do not compress.
• Place balls onto a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet.
Bake at 425 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until bottoms are lightly browned.
Remove and let cool
Mix glaze and spoon over top.